Architectural Finishes Research Conference
An international conference on finishes of built heritage, organized by the Low Countries
From May 29 through 1 June 2024, the Cultural Heritage Agency of the Netherlands (RCE) will host the Architectural Finishes Research Conference in Amsterdam. We will do so in collaboration with renowned partners on this subject in the Low Countries: Koninklijk Instituut voor het Kunstpatrimonium/Institut Royal du Patrimoine Artistique (KIK/IRPA), SRAL -The Conservation Institute, Vrije Universiteit Brussel and University of Amsterdam.
For the program and registration possibilities go to afrconference.com
Aims of the conference
The general aim of the conference is to provide an international platform for professional researchers specialized in finishes of built heritage. Whilst exchanging new developments in the interpretation, preservation, documentation and management of historical finishes, common grounds are sought which lead to mutual understanding between the various participants. Thus creating a professional and strong cohesive global Architectural Paint and Finishes Research community.
Program and registration
Registration is possible via the website afrconference.com. On this website you will find the definitive program as well.
Conference venue in 2024
The conference is spread over four days between the 29th of May and the 1st of June, 2024. The lectures will take place in Het Trippenhuis in Amsterdam, and the excursions will take place in Amsterdam and the surrounding area.
This is a hybrid event: it is also possible to follow the lectures online.
Papers and scientific committee
In 2022, the organizing committee published a call for papers. Authors who have submitted abstracts, have received information about the peer-review process. The abstracts and papers are being reviewed by the following scientific committee:
- Drs. Angelique Friedrichs (Architectural finishes researcher and conservator, SRAL – The Conservation Institute, The Netherlands)
- Prof. dr. arch. Ann Verdonck (Architectural Engineering, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium)
- Dr. Annelies van Loon (Paintings conservator and conservation scientist, Rijksmuseum Amsterdam, The Netherlands)
- Edwin Verweij (Conservator Build Heritage Finishes, Belgium)
- Helen Hughes MA (Dip. Conservation, Historic Interior Conservation & Research United Kingdom)
- Jessica Hensel MASc (Conservation and restoration lecturer, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands)
- Johanne Bornemann Mogensen (MSc in Conservation and Restoration, the National Museum of Denmark)
- Kathrin Hinrichs Degerblad (conservator of architectural paint and polychrome sculpture, Riksantikvarieämbetet, National Heritage Board Sweden)
- Kirsten Travers Moffitt (Conservator and Materials Analyst, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, USA)
- Dr. Luc Megens (Senior Conservation scientist, Cultural Heritage Agency, The Netherlands)
- Merel Landman MA Pd Res (ML Conservation, The Netherlands)
- Phillipa Mcdonnell (Research Fellow at University of Lincoln, United Kingdom)
- Wivine Wailliez (Conservator, Decoration of monuments unit – conservation department, Institut royal du Patrimoine artistique- Koninklijk Instituut voor het Kunstpatrimonium (Royal Institute for Cultural Heritage), Brussels, Belgium)
Past conferences and peer-reviewed papers
This specialized conference is formerly known as the Architectural Paint Research Conference and focusses on the research of finishes in building conservation. Previous conferences have been organized since 2000 by various institutions around the world and were accompanied by peer-reviewed publications. These initiatives resulted - besides some national initiatives - in European standards developed by the working group CEN/TC 346/WG13.
Peer reviewed publications of the previous seven conferences
- 2000 English Heritage, London (GB): Layers of Understanding
- 2005 National Museum, Kopenhagen (DK): Paint Research in Building Conservation
- 2008 Colombia University, NYC (US): Architectural Finishes in the Built Environment
- 2010 Lincoln University, Lincoln (GB): Architectural Paint Research
- 2014 Swedish National Heritage Board, Stockholm (S) Standards in Architectural Paint Research
- 2017 Colombia University, NYC (US) Macro To Micro
- 2021 Televiv (IL) Colors & Textures of the World (to be published)
The RCE organizes this conference in collaboration with Koninklijk Instituut voor het Kunstpatrimonium/Institut Royal du Patrimoine Artistique (KIK/IRPA), SRAL -The Conservation Institute, Vrije Universiteit Brussel and University of Amsterdam.